Saturday, November 26, 2022

Less Day Every Day

It is currently about 5 PM Central Standard Time. It is becoming dark outside. The day was very pleasant with 50 some degrees. Except for an occasional breeze, the last few days have been a welcome prelude to winter. ¶ The traditional shopping day is Black Friday. There was a longish article in the daily paper. One must remember that our paper is printed in Des Moines so the news is always one day late. Today there was a photo spread of the lack of Black Friday crowds standing in the dark in order to claim the most prizes when the stores open. The crowds were, indeed, minimal. Too many people shopping on-line rather than in person. ¶ Normally I would not venture out today having in mind that everyone would be busy. There were some things I definitely needed. Therefore I ventured forth trusting that the crowds would be minimal given the reports of yesterday.
¶ First I needed to go to Crossroads for Advent candles. One must always locate the candle man. He was headed to the back of the store and I quickly put in my request. He accepted my payment and volunteered to take the box to the car. That chore was, as they say, a piece of cake. ¶ Next stop was Costco for fuel for the car. There was an empty pump so that didn’t take long. ¶ I needed seasonal greens and a few other things within the mega-market and, having found a suitable parking place I ventured forth. Once I located everything I needed, there was only one person in line ahead of me in the checkout lane. My whole shopping spree was complete within one hour! ¶ I still needed an item from Target and knew where it was so I sallied forth once again, got the item and headed home. Target had the longest line for Black Friday and, indeed, they were the busiest today as well. Had I interest in something else I could have stayed and shopped. My interest was, however, nil. ¶ Thus the day after Black Friday became a shopping day with little angst. ¶ This was my first week without chemo. I have to admit that I was not overcome by ambition. Great things were not accomplished. I continue to have flu-like symptoms especially when tired. ¶ The radiation oncologist’s office called yesterday and set up an appointment for next Wednesday. I am assuming that will be the beginning of the whole brain radiation treatments. I was told that the schedule will be completed at my appointment on Wednesday. The doctor already told me that there will be two weeks of treatments. So my time will be filled with trips to radiation oncology for brief treatments every day. I’ll let you know next week how things are going.
¶ Now I need to prepare for the first Sunday of Advent, the beginning of a new church year. There is always hope in the preparation. There is always joy in the anticipation of the birth of the Savior. ¶ May you rejoice with me that salvation has come into this world by the birth of the Son of God. ¶ Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for your thoughtfulness to me and others. I’m grateful for your kindnesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment