Saturday, June 5, 2021

What Was Isn’t

Last week I commented on the rather coolish temperatures we were experiencing. Today the high temperature will be 97º! I’m not worrying about cool temps any longer. As has been opined by many, if you don’t like the weather wait a couple of days. ¶ A long time, dear friend died the week after Easter. This past week was the time set for her “formal” funeral and burial. The funeral was in Lead at historic Christ Church. It is a lovely, ancient building on the edge of a precipice (as is everything in Lead). In spite of its age it has been lovingly cared for. ¶ I wanted to do something for this dear friend so I volunteered to officiate at the funeral. This would take me back to the Black Hills for the first time since my brother died 12 years ago. ¶ I drove to Rapid City on Monday. I was being careful not knowing how tired I would be after last week’s chemotherapy. This gave me a chance to visit my parents’ graves, and to walk by my former grade school (Jefferson) which is now an administration building for the school district.
¶ In addition I walked by the house in which I grew up. It is gray now. When I lived there it was white. It is also much, much smaller than I remember it being. Aging must alter the size of things remembered. ¶ On Tuesday I traveled to Lead stopping on the way to visit my grandparents’ graves in the cemetery at Black Hawk. It is a small plot of ground. I remembered it from my youth as being rather uncared for. The pleasant surprise is that it is now beautifully maintained and quite tidy. ¶ Tuesday evening was spent in reunion with the family of my friend. They had traveled from New Mexico, Colorado, North Dakota and Minnesota. There was a lot of chatter and catching up. ¶ The funeral was at 9 on Wednesday morning. The service had been well planned. The church organist was a long time friend of the family but she was not feeling well at all. A more than adequate substitute and an equally good friend did a wonderful job on the hymns and other music. ¶ Following the service there was a brunch at the church. The internment was scheduled for 1:00 at the National Cemetery. Each family is allowed one half-hour for the committal. If one is not on time the service must be shortened because the next group will be waiting. Everything takes place in the chapel. The actual burial is done following the committal and the family is not allowed to be present. They are told how long the burial will take and that they can come and visit the grave after that.
¶ That evening I enjoyed dinner with a recently ordained deacon whom I know from singing with her in the Cathedral Choir. She will be the rector when she has been ordained priest in a few more months. ¶ Thursday was the scheduled trip back to Sioux Falls. My friend whose wife we buried the day previous rode back with me so he could visit his Sioux Falls relatives and friends. That gave us a chance to catch up on everything, more or less. ¶ The bird “event” is complete. It turns out that they were house finches and not wrens, as previously thought. The last of the babies left the nest today. All that remains is the nest mess. At least the wreathe can be changed. I do believe the “nested wreath” will be consigned to the landfill. ¶ Sophia managed the absence of her servant with the aid of a “sitter.” She was happy to see me return but has been a little distant just to let me know that I
should not think about being away again. ¶ The driving across the state did not bother me. It’s good to know I can do it if need be. I’ve felt well. Next week is chemo free. Thank you for all your prayers and thoughts. I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment