Saturday, June 19, 2021

Good News!

This past week was infusion week which went along as expected. TUG has mended her ways and is promptly delivering the needed medication without making unforeseen detours. ¶ The good news came on Thursday. I needed to appear at the Imaging Center at 7:15 to have my port accessed and undergo an MRI. That instrument of torment has to be the loudest collection of pot banging, atrociously loud buzzing and enormous clicking sounds every created. Even though ear plugs are provided and sponges placed over the ears, the sound is still mind boggling. Once in a while the attendant’s voice comes through, “are you doing okay?” It is just something to be endured. ¶ The results of this torture were presented at 11 that morning when I paid my visit to the radiation oncologist. He told me that the four little spots which
appeared on the last scan had disappeared and the major lesion was no longer growing but shrinking in size. That means the gamma knife procedure was effective and I don’t have to worry about brain cancer for the near future. I will continue to have an MRI every three months with a follow up appointment to make sure there are no new sightings of “blips in the brain.” This was a great relief. After hearing the news I finally relaxed for the first time in weeks. Obviously the results of the gamma knife were weighing upon me. I am very thankful that the results are positive. ¶ Now I look forward to two weeks vacation from chemo, trips to the Cancer Center, and waits for TUG to make her delivery. It was pleasant to have friends visit me while the infusions were taking place. Having someone with whom to converse makes the time pass so much faster. I’m grateful for the company. ¶ Right now I hear a bit of thunder in the distance. We are supposed to have a rainstorm about 6 PM. (This is Saturday.) It has been so hot and dry that the river flow is decreased. The city has not mandated watering restrictions more severe than usual but the warning signs are there that they could be put in place if water comes not from the heavens. There was little snowmelt this year and little rain.
¶ Sophia received two types of grass from her friend this week. She’s fond of the wheat grass and not so sure about the oat grass. New things take a while for the feline to accept them. Change is frightening for the ritualistic cat who wants everything done the same way at the same time every day, please and thank you. ¶ It’s hollyhock time in the garden and they are spectacular this year. So far the Japanese beetles have not appeared on the scene. Those pesky things really did a number on the hollyhocks last year. The goatsbeard in the back garden is in bloom. I love the lacy finger-like flowers, white against the dark green. ¶ On WednesdayI attended the funeral of a friend with whom I taught towards the end of my career. She was a wonderful teacher and loved by her students. The
size of the crowd was a testimony to her care for her students. The church, fairly large, was nearly full. She had never married. Her three brothers and families were there. Otherwise the congregation was made up of former teachers, principals, supervisors, parents and students. It was heartwarming. I know how kind she was to me when I taught in the same building. May she rest in peace and rise in glory. ¶ Thank you for everything, the calls, the emails, the cards, the prayers and the thoughts are precious to me. I am grateful beyond words.

No comments:

Post a Comment