Saturday, June 12, 2021

Variety Is the Spice of Life

Or so “they” say. And we have had variety this week from scorching hot temperatures to those considered to be much more moderate. After some days of near 100º we enjoyed high 70s and mid 80s. Life is much more pleasant when one does not feel under the broiler when venturing out. Actually one is not fearful of venturing out when one is not broiled upon exiting. ¶ The natal day has been celebrated twice more this week. Some friends with whom I used to serve at Bishop Dudley House took me out for lunch on Monday. It was very good to see them again after a year and a half.
¶ Another group of friends hosted me on Wednesday. Part of this group were traveling companions on a couple of college choir tour trips that I was privileged to take. In the “old days” when colleges planned trips they would contract for more passengers than the choir required. That allowed others to join the trips for a very reasonable price and, most likely, allowed the choir members to travel dirt cheap. We recalled some memories of Paris, Prague, the German Alps, and Venice. It was a lovely time with good conversation food and wine. ¶ One of those choir members is now one of two finalists for Sioux Falls’ Chief of Police. Having worked with him in the Singing Boys, I find it hard to believe that he is all grown up and in line for a prestigious position. I’m proud of him. ¶ All of the plants are growing well, enjoying the sunshine and the healthy rain we had a couple of nights ago. That 1¼ inches really helped the recovery from the days of extreme heat. The tradescantia is in bloom. The hostas in the back garden are flourishing. They do not seem to be high on the menu for the rabbits this year. I know not what the bunnies are eating but they seem to be leaving the hostas alone. ¶ There is no sign of the landscapers yet. I’m getting rather anxious to see that project begun and finished. It’s a busy time of year for those workers. I know they will get here when possible. It’s kind of like a child waiting for Christmas to arrive. It never happens soon enough.
¶ Next week is infusion week. I also have an MRI on Thursday which will reveal what is going on in my cranium. I always experience a bit of apprehension which comes from not knowing what may be found. The radiation oncologist was certain that all the little problems could be solved in one gamma knife treatment. That was before more little problems cropped up than were expected. I’m sure everything will be fine. I will be more sure after the results of the MRI are in before noon on Thursday. ¶ The staff at the Prairie Center is just fantastic. I look forward to seeing them again. The infusions are painless and usually have no side effects. It’s the waiting for the pharmacy that drags out the process and makes me slightly irritable. I know they have to be careful and make sure everything is done correctly. They are working with some pretty toxic stuff designed to kill off whatever is growing in your body. I would not want them to be less than careful.
¶ It will be interesting to see if TUG has mended her ways or if she is still trying to go places no robot has gone before. By the end of my last infusion week she seemed to be willing to follow directions. Perhaps she has learned her lesson. ¶ Summer substitute positions are in need of filling. If I thought I would be bored, I won’t be. I’m at the altar and in the pulpit tomorrow, on the organ bench in a couple of weeks, repeat the altar/pulpit thing in July a couple of times, then three Sundays on the bench in August. When I don’t think I have anything else to do I’d better be practicing, or working on homilies. ¶ Thanks for all your prayers, thoughts, messages and kindnesses. You are wonderful people and I can’t express how much I appreciate you and all you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment