Saturday, August 21, 2021

On Thankfulness

As I was on my walk today with the blog in the back of my mind, I pondered the beauty of this day and how very grateful I am to be alive to enjoy it. It has been a wonderful day weather-wise. The high temp was expected to be 75ยบ. I don’t think that was ever reached. The sun has been shining and there has been a slight breeze. All the windows and doors in the house have been open and the wonderful fresh air has wafted through the place. The air conditioner has not switched on all day, and its the 21st of August.!
¶ As I walked along I thought about how thankful I should be that I live in a safe neighborhood, that I have sidewalks upon which to walk, that there are neighbors along the way with whom to stop and chat and that I am healthy enough to take the walk. ¶ I also thought about all the times that I have been less than thankful. I have been given so many opportunities, so many friends, so many experiences, kind and caring parents, a lovely home, everything I need to lead a very good life. I need to learn to live more thankfully. ¶ In the Prayers of the People in the Episcopal Church there is often a place for the congregation to add their thanksgivings. Too often this space is a totally silent time. We always have a lot of things for which to pray. There are those who are dear to us who are sick. We desperately pray for their healing. There are concerns about relationships, often revealed to us with the request that we pray for the people involved. There are our own perceived needs. All of these we willingly poor out. When it comes to those things for which we are thankful, silence.
¶ This last week was chemo week. It is something that I really do not anticipate with great joy. I think the reason is that it encroaches on my time. I must show up at the Cancer Center. I complain that the pharmacy is slow, if they are. I neglect to be grateful when the pharmacy is fast. Every person on the staff does their best to ensure that I am comfortable. The chemo keeps the cancer at bay so that I can lead a normal life. How often do I give thanks for the medicine, those who administer it, and those who invented it? The answer, unfortunately is seldom. For that I am ashamed. ¶ I need to concentrate on leading a thankful life. I need to look upon the things I can do and that I am asked to do with thankfulness that I am able to do those things. Instead of complaining about encroachments on my time, I need to be thankful that I have the time to do what I am asked.
¶ The week went well with no side effects. A little work has been done in the garden but no planting as yet. It’s a bit early to think about planting bulbs. There are so many beautiful choices it’s difficult to narrow them down. Soon I’ll say to myself, just do it! Plants are forgiving. If you don’t like what you’ve done, do it over. Just be thankful that you can! ¶ I am amazed each year when I cut back things in the spring and there is this one green leaf. By August, that green leaf has grown into this gigantic bush covered with little blue flowers and bees and butterflies. It is a miracle. ¶ Thanks for checking in and reading. Thanks for your prayers and thoughts. I am grateful for what you have done for others and for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment