Saturday, May 22, 2021

We Did It!

Thanks to the help of a good friend, all those plants purchased last week are now part of the garden or in the pots on the deck. When I say “all those plants” that means more than 80 of them. It’s early for me. As I recall last year it was well into June before I was motivated to do the garden thing. ¶ Many of the plants are already growing and helping to make things beautiful. There are lots of colors, shapes and sizes which, I think, makes for an interesting display.
¶ There are also a good number of weeds which have been dealt with as well, again thanks to my gardening friend. It is truly amazing how those unwelcome things can grow almost overnight. In reality the main difference between a weed and a plant is its desirability. One wants the “plant” to grow. One does not want the weed to grow. They are both plants. There is really only that difference. ¶ On the privacy panel near the front door there is usually a wreath of some kind. The Christmas wreathe is an evergreen of some sort. Some of the seasons only get a bare twig wreath. The early spring wreath is twigs with a few (fake) flowers. I was about to change it when I noticed an addition to said wreath. A wren had built a nest in the bottom of the wreath and there were five tiny eggs therein.
¶ Upon examination the next day some of the little birds had hatched. They were basically bare naked with just a bit of fluff. In the following days the fluff increased and they had grown. One of the little ones had decided to leave the nest when his mother was not around. I was fearful of picking him up and hoped he would find his way back. Sadly, he was found in the flower pot below the next day so we conducted a mini burial for the poor thing. ¶ Today when we were photographing the nest all of these beaks (4 of them) appeared with wide open mouths. It is just amazing how fast they’ve grown. Mother has been very busy. Unfortunately for her, it’s right next to the front door so she flees for safety every time the door is used. ¶ Several birds have begun enjoying the bird bath. Sophia is quite interested in their antics in the water. The lilacs are in bloom and very fragrant. It is wonderful to see the leaves on the trees again. ¶ Last Sunday’s labors on the organ and piano went just fine. This Sunday I need to sing. Next Sunday I will play once again. ¶ Next week is chemo week. I’ve been feeling fine. Chemo week is not something to which I look forward. I’m so grateful it doesn’t bother me very much at all.
¶ It is wonderful to be able to get together with others again. All of those with whom I come in contact have been vaccinated. I still wear a mask when in a store even though many stores have taken down their “wear a mask” signs. Hopefully those who have not been vaccinated will get that done soon so we can return to normal life. ¶ Thank you for all your prayers and kind thoughts. I treasure your support and know it is lifting me up, keeping me safe, and filling my heart with gratitude. Please do have a wonderful week.

No comments:

Post a Comment