Saturday, May 15, 2021

Blood On the Floor

There is nothing to get excited about. I’m just referring to a drop of blood on the floor in front of the dishwasher. Upon seeing it one wonders from whence it came. Upon further investigation I discovered it was my arm that was bleeding. Somehow I managed to scrape my arm. One of the things that comes from chemotherapy is fragile skin. I suppose it has something to do with the multiplication of skin cells. The reason for the hair loss in cancer treatment is the functioning of the chemo in preventing the growth of the fastest growing cells. Among those cells are cancer cells, hair cells, and I’m venturing a guess here, skin cells. I notice that my usage of bandaids has increased. ¶ We’ve had beautiful weather for the better part of the week. One day brought some much needed rain. The sun has been out. Things are growing rapidly, in particular the
lovely yellow flowers that pop up in the middle of the lawn. ¶ Monday’s road trip included a trip to McCrory Gardens in Brookings. This is a botanical garden in connection with SDSU. It is rather early to appreciate all the gardens have to offer but they do have a tulip show which was very nice. ¶ Following the inspection of the gardens, a stop was made at Medary Acres Greenhouse, a very large operation with many temptations. I was tempted and returned to Sioux Falls with an auto full of things to be planted. ¶ Tuesday and Wednesday and were occupied by other duties, so the flowers waited patiently. On Friday, following my Pavilion duties. the auto headed toward Iowa, to a locally famous greenhouse in the city of Alvord. If you’ve not heard of this metropolis you would not be the only one. Actually we never found the town but we did find the greenhouse on a dirt road. ¶
Said facility is huge and presented another temptation to purchase even more things to plant. It now seems that one must cease buying things to plant and actually to begin planting the things purchased. Part of today was spent doing that very thing. There is still much more to do, however, so there will be no leisure for a few days as I try very hard to avoid greenhouses! I’m very grateful for a friend who enjoys gardening and is helping me in the endeavor. ¶ Considerable time has been spent at the keyboard, both the 88 key variety of the piano and the 61 key variety of the organ. I’m to play at the Cathedral tomorrow. That has required considerable time. If one were to play weekly it would be much easier. In my situation of random substitute gigs, a lot of time goes to warming up and relearning some of the basics before one can even begin to practice. Hopefully, all will go well. A new crop of wheatgrass arrived this week, much to the delight of Sophia. She was so excited she uttered an exclamation began chomping away.
¶ I’ve felt well all week. No chemo this week and next. I am so grateful that I have these two week “rest” periods. This allows my body to repair itself somewhat from the onslaught of poison dumped into my veins every third week. ¶ Thank you for all of your prayers, thoughts, messages, and kindnesses. I am supported by them each day. I feel my plans have been made for the next week–planting flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment