Saturday, May 30, 2020

Pentecost

Pentecostal flame
Tomorrow the western Christian Church celebrates the feast of Pentecost. The name indicates the fiftieth day following western Easter and is the official last day of the Easter season. 

The story is told in the Acts of the Apostles describing the coming of the Holy Spirit in flames of fire which lighted upon the heads of those gathered waiting for the next step in their lives.  This outpouring of the Spirit then energized the baby Christian Church to go out from its hiding place and begin proclaiming the Good News.

Today in the mail I received a card from a dear, dear friend and in it was a “flame” to remind me of tomorrow’s celebration. Although I wish we could be together to celebrate we’ll have to do it virtually as we did most of Lent and all of Eastertide. Locked up as we are we complain about not being able to gather as the church. In an earlier day and age we would be truly by ourselves. Modern technology at least allows us to participate with others. In some ways virtual worship can further amplify our aloneness. In other respects it is a lifesaver and a life-giver.  Each of us has our own opinion on the the virtues of virtual meetings. 

Savannah Merlot Sizzle
For myself, I find being able to worship with my own community and also to attend other services literally from one coast to another has made Sunday a somewhat more rich experience than previously. Perhaps my “attending” worship in several different places means that none of the services actually fulfills my spiritual quest. I’m not sure. I know this is what God is providing right now and I am thankful.
Savannah Merlot Sizzle

This is my first of two weeks “off” of chemotherapy. I did go in for labs on Tuesday and found out my sodium level has reached the heights of “normal.”  That makes me feel a lot better. I think I tried to do a little too much on Wednesday because the day ended with my being nauseated. I recovered to celebrate my  birthday on Thursday which was a blessed day with lots of contacts and good wishes. 

The chief helper in the office
I do believe that I’m finally finished with pots and the planting thereof. One of my searches each year is for a stunning geranium. I think geraniums are beautiful plants. The colors of some of the new hybrids are spectacular. They usually have to be sought out because they are out of the ordinary. This year’s find is “Savannah Merlot Sizzle” which I happened upon by accident strolling through one of the greenhouses. I think it is a winner and will brighten the garden all summer long.

June begins on Monday. I will start the day with CT scans. Hopefully they will bring some good news. 




No comments:

Post a Comment