Saturday, May 23, 2020

Back and Forth, Back and Forth


That seems like what I’ve done this week, back and forth to the hospital, back and forth to the greenhouses and garden supply stores, just like a pendulum-back and forth.

But I’ve been out of the house every day! I think that is exciting in this time of shut-down.  This is my week for chemotherapy and this regimen requires that I go in each day for five days. Every day I got to motor to the hospital, go through the check in procedure, receive my wrist band and be questioned about why I’m there and get asked if I know where I am going.  There are times in my life when I’ve wondered where I am going, but I’ve got this whole routine down pat. 

I had labs again this week and will have on Tuesday to find out how my sodium is faring. I rehearsed the story last week about my slippery sodium slide.  Tuesday the test showed my sodium up about 10 units. It’s not normal yet but on the way.  Evidently the change in medication or the chemo working on the cancer is having some effect.  I’m looking for more good news Tuesday.

The story was told about the move of the Cancer Center to the Avera Speciality Hospital a few blogs ago. This week the buzz was about moving back to the Prairie Center, that beautiful facility built especially for treating cancer victims. On Friday afternoon the staff moved back “home” as they call it. They were so excited to go back it was almost like little ones around the Christmas tree.  I have been reminded at least five times this week that next week they will be back “home.”

The Speciality Hospital is a lovely building and is all glass on the exterior. When one gets to the rooms they utilized for infusions—surprise! There are no windows. Or if there are they are very narrow horizontal panes placed up near the ceiling so you couldn’t see out if you wanted to. It was a shock for me because I love the light. At the Prairie Center every infusion room has one wall of windows looking out over the lobby and through the south windows that stretch two stories high on the facade of the building.

To the gardening:  one day this week I embarked on the plant buying spree. I went to one out-door store that appears to have everything. They had a lot but only a little that drew my attention. Off to another in search of flowering kale. Nada. Off to another in search of papyrus.  Bingo! Also this store had far more interesting geraniums than the others. I came home with some things, but not enough. The next day I went to two more stores.  They each had a few things which gave me some hope for finishing this task. One of my Benedictine community stopped by with some plants for me having read about my dearth of planting last week. 

I know that my planters sometimes do not seem all that planned. Mother Nature has a tendency to take care of the mistakes of the earthlings who undertake horticulture.  I do however place the plants in what I think are their intended positions and ponder. Hmmm, will I like this in a month? There is the inevitable reshuffling until I’m finally ready to plant.  That finally happened at the end of the week.  

Today is, according to the forecasts, the last day without rain for several to come. As I arose I was determined to finish the pots on the deck today. As I looked I needed one more geranium. Off to the store for one more geranium. Done. Finished the pots. Now the hanging planter for which I had previously purchased the ivy geraniums was the last on the list. 



Firstly, where is it? If one doesn’t secret it away the birds delight in using the liner for nest material. It was found in the garage where it was stashed last autumn. Oh my, it really needs a new liner, they only do last a few years. Off to the store for trip number 2 to get the liner. Finally everything is ready to go. There’s not enough potting soil left. Off to the story to purchase needed item. Finally, task completed. The evidence is sprinkled through the blog. The pendulum finally stops!

Thanks for reading and for your thoughts and prayers.  I do feel your presence and know that your prayers are keeping me going.  In one of the readings from the Fathers of the Church this week the reference was to Psalm 27: “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom then shall I fear?” It struck me that the statement is correct and the question cannot be answered.  It’s a good phrase to keep in mind no matter the circumstances of one’s life. Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment