Saturday, June 18, 2022

One for the Books

I recall in the dim recesses of my mind that “one for the books” used to be a statement when something very surprising or monumental happened. I think this week just past falls into that category. ¶ I’ve felt very, very well all week. I had an MRI on Thursday afternoon which I didn’t even mind in the slightest. No results have been presented. I’ll hear all about it on Monday when I have the first of three days of Gamma Knife procedures. I’ll get to greet the machine Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and then have an infusion on Thursday. Next week may possibly be “one for the books” on the other end of the spectrum. I have a good attitude right now. Hopefully it will last through the week.
¶ The garden is doing well with all of its new plants. The huge allium with its starburst flowers is spectacular. The roses are busy blooming. Other plants are adding their color. We’ve had rain and abundant sunshine all of which helps the newbies grow. ¶ I am on the schedule to play for the service at the Cathedral tomorrow. Having gone there to practice I passed through the office exactly when an organist was being sought for a funeral today. So, it turns out that I will be playing for said rite this afternoon. It is for a most gracious lady who died during the height of the COVID drama so the funeral has been delayed a few months. ¶ Monday, the Prior of our Benedictine Community in Tempe, Arizona, came to spend a few days. It was so good to have him for his company and for someone with whom to pray. ¶ I invited him to preach at our Benedictine weekly Eucharist on Tuesday evening. I was mildly surprised when the Bishop appeared but rationalized it as his being in the city for something and decided to join us. The Dean of the Cathedral also came. At the time for the homily, Father Prior said he was supposed to preach but wrote a letter instead. It was written on behalf of the other priors and asked that the Bishop bless me as abbot of our communities. It is the first time we’ve had an abbot.
¶ An abbot is the head of a monastic foundation. Benedict’s Rule insists that the abbot be obeyed as if Christ were present amongst us. It is not something I sought and I am humbled to have been chosen. That the other priors would trust me with this office is an expression of the love we have for one another. ¶ The next day I received a most spectacular bouquet from good friends in Denver in honor of the honor, as it were.
¶ After the storms we experienced at the end of May and beginning of June, I was convinced by others that I should call the insurance people. Their adjustor made an appointment for 7 AM on Thursday. I rose early to bid my guest farewell and be ready for Mr. Adjustor. He finally showed up about 11. As it turns out I need to have the roof shingled and a few other minor things done. Now I have to contact someone for a bid. Given the storms and damage in the city, I am expecting that contractors are way behind schedule on their repair jobs. I can put that off until Monday, and I will. ¶ Now I must close my eyes for a few minutes before this afternoon’s funeral. Thank you for reading, for thoughts and prayers, and all the kindnesses that have been showered upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment