Saturday, April 16, 2022

I have returned!

I thought I’d better catch you up. I see by looking back that I was not feeling all that perky a week ago Saturday when I wrote the April 2 blog. I was really not feeling well; by this past Saturday, one week ago I was definitely not well, and indeed, my cancer was eating up all my sodium. I was admitted to the hospital through the emergency room. Spending a few days in hospital is anything but a restful experience. The staff must be careful that the sodium level does not rise too rapidly. It was explained that nasty things can happen. So that necessitates a blood draw and taking vitals every two hours, day and night. Also included in delightful experiences was an x-ray, a CT scan, an MRI, and assorted others. The staff at the hospital is wonderful. They make the stay almost pleasant. The hospital is in dire need of a remodel. The rooms are tiny with a very cramped bathroom. To wit, the picture is of the nurses workstation crammed in the corner with a drawer than cannot be opened blocked by the computer.
It has been discovered that there are three new areas of concern in the brain, so I will have to have another gamma knife treatment of those. They are all less than 9mm in size. There are also new areas of concern in the liver indicating that my chemotherapy has outlived its usefulness so a new regimen will begin. Since.my sodium has now returned to normal, I was released on Wednesday afternoon late.
I have accomplished very little, actually since my homecoming. I did sing in the choir Thursday evening, and will again tonight and tomorrow, God willing. It seems to take an inordinate about of energy to accomplish the slightest task. I will persevere. The great discovery, for me, was that lack of any exercise at my age is not to my benefit. I have to keep going. Lesson learned. Conditional to my release was a promise to allow home health care into my home for an assessment and recommendations. Physical and Occupational Therapy will also be involved. This makes it sound like I’m getting old! This will happen on Monday morning, bright and early. In order to have home health care I need the permission of my primary physician. When they contacted him he announced he hadn’t seen me since 2020. I have enough physicians I really don’t need one more. I haven’t seen him because each time I’ve needed such he’s been on vacation. Anyway, I need to see him on Tuesday to make amends and to legalize the deal. So Tuesday I’ll have labs at 7:15, see the Oncologist, see the Radiation Oncologist and see the primary all before noon. The new infusion schedule is still a mystery, also to be revealed the same Tuesday morning. Who has time for anything else?
It is spring now, actually, and there are flowers to prove it even though the weather is still hesitant. There are many little things poking their way through the not-so-warm-yet soil. They are much more brave than I. It is easily apparent that Sophia eagerly awaits my return. She has been sorely lacking in attention and is trying to make up for that.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Warren, that's alot of news for any one person to handle in a few days but you seem to take it in stride. They say motion is lotion so yes keep moving. I love your attitude and guess thats half the battle. Dick & I will say lots of prayers for you!šŸ™šŸ™
    Our rhubarb is coming up already but will have to cut the first crop and throw as they say it could be poisonous after a freeze? Better be safe than sick. You take care. Hope your neighbors Ken& Barb don't get too rowdy! šŸ¤£

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Hi, Warren! This is your rowdy neighbor, Barb. Ken said you guys had a good chat the other day when you were out for your walk. Sorry I missed you. I just want you to know we will be keeping you in our prayers. Your blogs are certainly inspiring, Warren, as well as informative and entertaining! I wonder if perhaps Sophia is your editor in chief? ;)
    I am always jealous of people who can write so well and with expression and humor! You sure keep busy and that is a good thing. In between those medical appointments that is certainly a challenge. Please remember if you need anything we are only a holler away! And speaking of editor in chief...I agree with you about the Argus Leader...to say they need help is an understatement. And a lot of the news including the headlines, is always a day late. (I think I better pass on the rest of my thoughts!) We indeed are excited for spring to actually arrive and stay. Your landscape is looking great. Take care. Get your rest. So glad we serve a risen Savior! HAPPY EASTER! ♡

    ReplyDelete