Saturday, April 30, 2022

Better than Last

This week has gone much better than last. There have been fewer appointments and I’ve felt better. ¶ The home health nurse visited again, checked my vitals, and removed the bandage from my arm and announced that the gash was ever so much better and I could go without the bandage. She’ll return one more time. I guess she likes my company. ¶ The occupational therapist made one last visit, told me to exercise and behave myself and said to call if I had need otherwise she would disappear from my schedule.
¶ The physical therapist came and took a walk with me and said his farewell. He declared that I’m doing fine. ¶ The nausea thing seems to hang on and strikes just about dinner time. I’ve learned to take a pill around 5:30 and then I can comfortably eat some dinner about one hour later. ¶ If anyone is wondering what retirement is like here is an example. Tuesday I had to set the alarm because the housekeeper was due. As he continued his work the home health nurse arrived for her visit. I then had to leave to have lunch with some teacher buddies. Returning home I changed clothes and went to the funeral of an old friend from 50 years previous. I returned home in time to meet the physical therapist and go for a walk with him. Then I changed again and went to my regular Tuesday Benedictine service and meeting. Following that I attended the Vestry meeting for a time to hear the presentation on the columbarium and finally returned home about 8:00 to dine about 9. Thankfully, not every day is like that but many are close to it. ¶ Wednesday was a tad less frantic but close to Tuesday in obligations of various types in disparate parts of the city which delayed lunch until 3:30 or so. I finished the leftovers thereof following choir practice at 9:30. ¶ Needless to say, I don’t reveal my schedule to the nurse who insists on regular and adequate nutrition. I operate under the principle that what they don’t know won’t bother them. ¶ Then I do dumb things like watching two movies last night and finally conking out at 2 AM which then throws the next day’s schedule into complete disarray. You’d think that I was old enough to know better. I guess not. ¶ I think we finally had a decent rain last night. There was a lot of lightning and associated noise. I haven’t put out the rain gauge yet so I’ve no idea how much. I must do that next. ¶ I saw daffodil blossoms appearing added to the plethora of green leaves pushing their way sunward. The tiny little tulips, squill, crocus, and early iris continue their determined path sunward. I find it amazing that the most delicate little blossoms are the first to show their beauty.
¶ Sophia met her first dog this week and seemed to be not all that impressed. One of my neighbors has a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who goes by the name of Bruce. He came to visit with his family. He’s quite fond of me and greets me with great animation when I’m out walking. Sophia observed him carefully from under a plant stand with little reaction until he deigned to come closer. At that point she decided she’d better hiss at him so he would understand exactly who was in charge. His reaction was minimal which disconcerted her so she amped up the volume. This caused him to retreat which gave her great joy. ¶ All in all, this week has been much better than last and I look forward to next week being even better. Thanks for reading, for prayers and thoughts and for all you do for me and others. Bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment