Saturday, January 29, 2022

Kudos to the Feds

One does not often compliment the federal or state governments on their efficiency. Perhaps this will be one of the very few times that it happens. ¶ I’ve held a Global Entry card for the last five years. Global Entry allows one to bypass the immigration agents when reentering the country. It also provides access to the priority lanes when going through security. TSA lines are often long and clogged with persons trying to remove their shoes, looking for stuff that needs to be hand examined, etc. The priority lanes do not require removing anything, shoes, clothing or items in the bag. Hence, less of a headache when flying. ¶ When entering my number while purchasing a ticket a week or so ago, I noticed that my card expires in a couple of months. I checked the website and found that the necessary paper work for renewal is taking months to be processed. The wait is so long that persons are given a lengthy grace period past the expiration date.
¶ I shuddered with fear knowing that I would have to go to a larger airport for the interview. Last time I had to go to Chicago. As the government usually does, it makes no allowance for your schedule. You need to accommodate theirs. ¶ I struggled my way through the online application, which in typical government fashion was less than clear in many places. With a sigh of relief I hit the “send” button and settled down for a long winter’s nap. ¶ Again, in typical government fashion, the notice appeared that one would not be notified of anything. One must continually check in on the site and discover if any progress had been made on the application. ¶ Imagine my surprise when, not even 48 hours later, I received a message to check in on the site. When I did the good news was that my application had been approved and I would not have to appear for another interview. If that was not a large enough shock, one week later my new card appeared in the mail. So, congratulations to the U.S. Government for your efficiency! ¶ What a lovely peaceful week this has been. The only preparation I had was for the Tuesday evening service. There were no other necessary things on the agenda. And yet, and yet the desk is still not clean. I have hopes. Someday I will again see the surface thereof.
¶ Sophia has been occupied each day with her bevy of livestock. At one point 5 squirrels were cavorting on “her” deck, along with 10 or 12 birds. She was so thoroughly exhausted yesterday that she finally had to take to her couch about 4 PM and did not arise until 11 PM. ¶ I’ve just returned from the Live in HD broadcast of the Metropolitan Opera. This week was beautiful production of Rigoletto. The performances are always magnificent, first rate, top notch. The crowd in the Met itself was a little sparse do to the snow storm currently afflicting the northwest portion of the USA. There was a shot of the plaza in front of Lincoln Center. It looked pretty grim. Actually not unlike South Dakota in January. Conversely, it was 46ยบ in sunny Sioux Falls today. The sunny and warm day made the decision to go to the darkened theater a tough one. Culture prevailed. ¶ Everything health wise has gone well this week. I’ve experienced no changes and have felt fine. ¶ Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers. I’m grateful for everything done for me and for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment