Saturday, January 15, 2022

It Didn’t Amount to Much

There were winter storm watches and warnings for a few days this week, leading up to Friday when things were supposed to get really bad. Well, they didn’t get really bad around here. I’ve not heard how much snow fell. There was some wind so it’s really hard to tell how deep the pile is. The snow shovelers came so we must have had more than two inches. If it’s less they don’t show. ¶ The precipitation started with freezing rain which always makes a nice underlayment for the snow. It picked up in the afternoon and was basically finished by evening. The city didn’t declare a “snow emergency” so the side streets will not be plowed. ¶ I was out and about this afternoon and encountered no problems although the side streets are a bit slick in places.
¶ Tuesday was the appointed day for the MRI preceding the Gamma Knife procedure. The doctor did order another to make sure he was not missing anything. It did turn out that there was another very small spot. The initial spot had not grown in the last two weeks. ¶ Thursday morning was the appointment with Erik the Red, the radiation oncologist. He explained in great detail what would happen. Then he sent me off to the physicists who would form the mask. ¶ I was asked to place my body on the bed of the machine which looks much like the CT scanner. It actually does have a CT scanner attached to it. They had a small pillow heating in the oven which they placed under my head to mold it to fit the contour of the back of my head exactly. ¶ Then the mask was brought forth from the oven and placed over my face and bolted to the machine. They massaged it to fit my face exactly and tightly with a hole for my nose. Following that I was set free for a few hours.
¶ I returned mid-afternoon, placed my body on the machine and the mask was placed over my face. It was really tight but that’s the purpose of it. My head could not move at all, neither could I speak. A sticker was placed on my nose. A camera, attached to the machine would focus on that and it would detect if I moved at all, thereby cancelling the procedure. ¶ A CT scan was taken and then the machine swallowed me for about 30 minutes. Another CT scan was taken as I exited the machine, they released my bonds and I was free to leave. Considering all things it was not a bad procedure. I can see that it would be awful for someone who is claustrophobic. In retrospect the mask is better that the frame bolted to the head. No drugs are involved in the procedure with the mask. Pictures include the Gamma Knife machine itself, and a picture of a patient with the mask on. It is not I. No one volunteered to take my picture.
¶ Next week begins with a CT scan to find out how the rest of me is doing and then a visit with the oncologist and chemo for a week. ¶ Sophia has continued her concern with the livestock on the deck. She was so busy yesterday she missed out on her long afternoon nap so she is close to exhausted today. At one point in the afternoon there were five squirrels entertaining her. In the meantime her devoted servant is going to go broke buying peanuts, corn and birdseed. ¶ Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers this week. They are much appreciated. I’m grateful for what you do for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment