Saturday, March 13, 2021

Victory!

Last week’s blog ended with “only one day spent in a waiting room.” That is exactly what happened. I needed to check in at the Speciality Hospital at 7:45 so I was up bright and early. Breakfast having been consumed I set out for the southwest. When one isn’t required to be at a certain location daily, such as for work, one forgets that other people must get to their employment. I am amazed at the number of people on the street between 7:00 and 8:00. My house is near a major artery for the traffic not only from this side of the city but the towns east of here in South Dakota, Minnesota, and Iowa many of whom are employed here. Sometimes the smallest things make one grateful. That morning I was grateful that my trips at that hour are few and far between. ¶ Arrival at the hospital was at 7:44. As mentioned previously traffic was not taken into account when departure time was established. The desk clerk in the radiation division said “You’ll be here for awhile!” The oncologist had said that this spinal MRI would take longer than the brain and brain-stem MRI. I didn’t have to wait long before the nurse came to access my port and deliver me to the MRI tech. He informed that this was a new machine and had better magnets and was, therefore, noisier than one I may have encountered previously. That, at least, gave me something to ponder whilst undergoing the procedure.
¶ For those who have not suffered the delight of an MRI, one is inserted into the tunnel-like machine after being told to remain perfectly still. Earplugs, sponges over the ear and clamps over the sponges are supposed to mitigate some of the racket. Then the racket begins and that really is the best description. There is such a collection of banging, buzzing, clattering noises it’s really unbelievable. Let’s just imagine 30 kindergarten students in a closed room being provided with pots and pans and hammers and told to have a good time. That comes close to the experience. Oh, by the way, you are in the room with the aforementioned kindergartners. ¶ One and one-half hours later I was withdrawn from the machine. The process was complete, thank God! I would get the results in a couple of days. My oncologist’s office called that afternoon and announced that my spine and spinal fluid were cancer free. Hallelujah! First victory of the week. That was a truly great relief. I think one doesn’t realize how much something like this weighs upon one until the results are in and relaxation can begin. ¶ The next thing on the agenda is the Gamma Knife procedure next Friday at 7:30. This is preceded on Thursday by yet another MRI. This will be of the brain and brain stem and will not take as long as last week’s, one sincerely hopes. By next Friday afternoon the lesion in my brain will have been zapped and I begin my regular round of chemotherapy the following week. This takes place at the Prairie Center. When it was constructed a few years ago it was proclaimed the most expensive building ever in Sioux Falls, and perhaps the state. It is state of the art in every sense with its mission of integrated healing and first rate doctors and nurses. It is also beautiful. When waiting for the arrival of medical professionals in a rather barren little exam room somethings will strike you funny. Here, in this expensive, state-of-the-art facility is the door stop, an item that amused me greatly.
¶ Other than a few OLLI classes and my usual volunteer position on Friday morning the week has been uneventful. Have great things been accomplished? No. Has it been a relaxing week after Monday? Yes. ¶ The “cat puzzle” has been completed, finally. I will concede that it was difficult. I don’t really know why but I think it has to do with the interesting shapes of the pieces and the supposition that realistic pieces should fit in as they look properly orientated. One discovers this is not the case so it’s a different thinking method that must be employed. Will I do another one? Not right now, anyway. That is victory number two of the week. ¶ Ann Patchett writes an article entitled “How to Practice” in the most recent New Yorker Magazine.” It has to do with “stuff.” One of her friend’s father had died and she had assisted her friend with cleaning out his house. That inspired her to clean out her own house. I’m trying to convince myself that I should be likewise inspired to clean out my house. I have so much warehoused for which there is no discernible need, anymore. In years past I was a fairly regular entertainer. I enjoy cooking for others. Several groups of people from my former parish would gather at my home periodically. I did need quite a few dishes, glasses, napkins, serving dishes, etc. The question now is, do I still need them? Probably not. Should I be providing the annual church rummage sale with a plethora of items needed no longer in this house? Probably should. Will the task be completed? That would be another victory. I may report in the future. If you hear nothing you can assume the clean out has not happened, yet. But, I’ll be thinking about it. ¶ It appears that I am not the only one who practices the piano in this house!
¶ I’m grateful for all the friends who have offered to accompany me to the Knife procedure. Your willingness is appreciated more than I can say. I am truly grateful for all of your thoughts and prayers. They uphold me constantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment