Saturday, March 27, 2021

On the Threshold

Tomorrow is the Sunday of the Passion or Palm Sunday. On this Sunday one of the Passion Gospels is read, either Matthew (last year), Mark (this year), or Luke (next year) and the cycle is then repeated. Additionally on Good Friday the Passion according to John is always read. ¶ When the lectionary was revised following Vatican II, this plan was developed. Up until then Matthew was always read on Sunday and Mark and Luke were read on the weekdays. That’s probably the reason that J.S.Bach, whose birthday was last Sunday, composed the St. Matthew Passion and the St. John Passion and skipped the other two. It was his job to provide music for the Sundays and great commemorations of the Church Year, not for weekdays. ¶ One of the highlights of Holy Week for me has always been to participate in the chanting of the Passion Gospel. Last year it was not possible because of COVID. This year it is not possible because we are still not singing in church. I miss it. Perhaps next year…
¶ Way, way back in the history of this blog I mentioned that travel/pilgrimage always precipitates a change in the pilgrim/traveler. This continues to surprise me. ¶ Several years ago I made a trip with a tour group to Croatia and Slovenia. The tour was very well managed and I met some interesting persons. One of those travelers is not able to speak or hear. He is an artist. During his career he illustrated children’s books for a major publisher. After he retired he moved from New York City to Chicago. He did have some good friends there otherwise I could not imagine how difficult it would be for him. ¶ My friend was treated for prostate cancer a few years after my treatment. He consulted me several times about his options and what might be best for him. After some 15 years, he still keeps in touch. It’s always good to hear from him. My birthday occurred during the trip I mentioned and he drew a birthday card for me. It was a small but memorable gift that I’ve kept all these years (15+). I’d never had a friend before who had this disability. He does not see is inability to speak and hear as a disability. His career was successful and he still does some freelance work. For me he is an example of perseverance and talent. ¶ This past week was chemo week so I’m a little tired today. Excessively cloudy weather during the past week hasn’t helped my energy level a lot. There have been no side-effects that I’ve noticed from last week’s excursion into the Gamma Knife machine. I followed the directions and removed the bandages when told to do so. The sites on the back of my head still hurt to the touch. I have an appointment with the radiation oncologist (AKA Erik the Red) in the middle of April. I won’t expect any extraordinary news because I won’t have an MRI before seeing him. ¶ I think Sophia and I may suffer from the same malady. On cloudy days she seems to sleep much more than normal. She has no problem sleeping at any
time. She can spot a few of her wild life friends from the living room window and she is anxiously awaiting the return of the birds. Hopefully they realize they are safe because she is restrained by the screens and windows. ¶ The daffodils continue their relentless trip out of the soil. No blooms yet but they are certainly pushing their way upward. ¶ We will celebrate the Great Three Days this week with some of the earliest liturgies of the church that have continued in use for 1700 years or so. The pilgrim Egeria wrote a travel “blog” in the fourth century in which she describes the liturgies of Holy Week. As one reads that diary it is amazing that those liturgies have changed but a very little in the 21st century. ¶ I hope and pray you have a blessed Holy Week. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your prayers and thoughts for me. I’m doing well thanks to you and to all the doctors and nurses that care for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment