Saturday, June 13, 2020

The Thirteenth of June


Not an inspiring title for this weeks blog. The week has not been all that exciting.  I have been out everyday to go to the Prairie Center for my infusion Monday through Friday.

All has gone well and the infusion takes less time because the pharmacy has decided that I’m a reliable customer and will show up so my “bag” of medicine is sometimes waiting for me instead of me for it. A few days I was a patient for less than an hour.
The port site

The blood work on Monday showed that all was good. My sodium level had gone down a bit but was still in the normal range.  I have more blood work on Monday so that will tell if I am continuing to move lower or if I’m maintaining. 

The only problem this week has been my port site.  For those in need of instructions, when I began my treatment last August they implanted a port in the right side of my chest. The medical professionals use this for my infusions and blood work. When they access it they insert a small needle through the skin into the port. This allows the medication to flow directly into the heart and then into the body. It eliminates finding a vein and inserting an IV into one’s arm. Because it leads directly to the heart they must be very careful when preparing to insert the needle. The nurse puts on sterile gloves (not just regular gloves as you can buy at the pharmacy). He or she then scrubs the site with a special cleanser containing alcohol, I’m sure.  Then the needle is inserted and a large bandage is placed over the site. If I remember to apply lidocaine cream to the site before I go to the hospital it is all quite painless.

The problem this week is that I’ve evidently had a reaction to this cleansing or to the lidocaine cream.  The skin over the port has become quite red and feels very dry and crusty. It was bleeding on Thursday so they left the needle in overnight so I wouldn’t have to go through the process on Friday. I imagine we will be doing the same thing the next time around, in two weeks time. The problem is that one has to deal with the “dongle” attached to the needle through which they connect the “drip.” So if one is going to shower it must be covered with saran wrap and taped all around so it is protected from the process of cleansing oneself. It’s not bad in the hospital when the nurse does it for you. It is a little more complex when you are doing it yourself and have to rely on a mirror!

It is really much more pleasant to be back at the Prairie Center for appointments and treatment. It is a purpose built building, filled with art and other amenities for the patients. The staff is happy to be back as well.

One of the pieces of glass art at the Prairie Center
Last year one of the great city projects began. Twenty-sixth street, only two blocks from my house, is a major east west artery particularly for those living on the “east side” and those commuting from the bedroom towns to the east and from Minnesota and Iowa. The infamous gravel train crosses the street a few blocks from my house. The train is long and conveniently travels between 7:00 and 9:00, 11:00 and 1:00, and 4:30 and 6:00. Its travel through the intersection prevents ambulances from reaching the hospitals and people getting to and from work and others who just want to get someplace else in the city. So the city decided to solve the problem by raising the street over the tracks. 

One never thinks about all that is necessary to do such a project particularly since it also involves crossing over an interstate highway. There is a cross street just before the track which had to be raised thirteen feet to accommodate the “fly over.” Power poles needed to be moved. Access to a day camp and a greenhouse had to be provided.  An entire park was moved across the river because access would exist no longer.

Feet wet drinking position
This past weekend we were finally allowed to drive over the half that flies over the tracks. No more will that pesky train impede the movement of the populace! Now work has begun on the other side which involves rebuilding the cross street and raising it, etc.  The project was to be finished by the end of 2020. I believe they are now predicting summer of 2021.  They have kept their word by keeping the street open through the whole process. Sometimes you wondered where exactly you were driving but somehow you got through.

Trying not to get the feet wet position.
Sophia is inclined toward drinking from the faucet.  She is allowed to use the downstairs bathroom sink although she has tried to gain access to others. Sometimes it doesn’t matter if she gets her feet wet in the process. Other days she chooses not to dampen her paws. Getting her drink then involves quite a balancing act!

Thanks for reading, keeping in touch and praying. It all helps, believe me.




No comments:

Post a Comment