Saturday, June 27, 2020

The Daylight Begins to Fade

Last weekend was the summer solstice. Now the days begin to get gradually shorter until the winter solstice is upon us once again. My mother said frequently that she disliked the summer solstice. She disliked it because it meant the days would begin to get shorter. I think I must have inherited my SADS from her. I do love the sunlight especially as it shines across the green grass, the flowers, the lakes, the mountains. It seems like everything it touches has received a special blessing.

I’ve been feeling good all week. Blood work on Monday showed my sodium has remained constant through the week so the oncologist reduced my sodium tablets to two per day rather than four.  We’ll see how that worked out when I have my blood work again on Monday. Next week will be my five days of chemotherapy once again.

The ginger and the hosta
I’ve done a little gardening almost every day. This takes place in the morning when it is cooler.  It’s pleasant to be out amongst the things that are growing. Nature provides such a wonderful color palette exhibiting shades of green from very dark to chartreuse. The colors of the flowers are like little exclamation points creating excitement in the display. 
Goatsbeard in bloom

Two years ago I planted wild European ginger under the evergreen tree. I did this because it is supposed to be unliked by rabbits. Well we must have a different breed of the critters here. One even tried eating it. Now the thought occurs that I may have misunderstood. Is the plant supposed to keep rabbits away, or to keep them from eating the ginger plant? The later is the truth, obviously.  Only one leaf has been nibbled upon. One of the hostas with two ginger plants next to it has been decimated.

Ash trees grow rapidly and provide wonderful shade.  They also provide a plethora of twigs which they deposit on the driveway. Cleaning those up was one of my morning tasks.

Tradenscantia
When mowing this week and last a strange sound emanating from the lawn mower concerned me.  The battery powered lawnmower which takes care of the long grass is a favorite of mine.  I was concerned that it might be on its last legs (or perhaps wheels would be more appropriate). While mowing on Tuesday it just stopped running. Turning it over to see if the problem could be ascertained, it was obvious that the blade was about to fall off. A little work with the wrench and it was as good as new.  Several serious nicks were discovered probably caused by the river rock in the landscaped beds. Rock does not mow well. A new blade has been ordered and UPS promises it will be here next week.

Sleeping on the edge!
Last week I posted a meditation by Henri Nouwen on “Compassion.” As I reread the blog one sentence jumped out: “What we desire most is to do away with suffering by fleeing from it or finding a quick cure for it.” When I venture out to the grocery store I am amazed at the number of people who are not wearing masks. It is such a simple thing to put on and take off and provides so much protection. Does this have to do with “fleeing from it” in the quotation. If one refuses to wear a mask they are telling everyone else “I am not afraid and COVID-19 won’t get me.” Those of us who are immune compromised make every attempt to stay far away from these unmasked people. The unmasked are putting every one at risk including themselves. The “quick cure” is to pretend that the danger from the virus is over. People can be free to attend crowded events not even trying to protect themselves and others. This idea is proved totally wrong by the number of positive cases overwhelming many of the states. Will we ever learn?

Thanks for reading, for thoughts, for prayers. Hopefully your week was a good one.




No comments:

Post a Comment