Saturday, October 5, 2019

What season is this?



The question in the title could be asked about any season in South Dakota. We seldom follow the “norms” for the season. My mother would tell tales about snow in Black Hills in June. I visited with someone who had recently returned from the Black Hills and told of not taking enough warm clothing along. 

In the meantime it was 80º+ and humid on Monday. The following days had trouble reaching 50º. It did get that warm during last night. We’ve had rain—over 4 inches this week so things are still quite green. Anyway, I’m tired of chilly, wet and gray days.  So I’ve been exercising, going to classes at the fitness center and getting my “steps” in each day.

Monday was the appointed time to see the eye doctor.  One of the side-effects of chemotherapy for some people is a change in vision. The chemo nurses warned me not to go out and get a new pair of glasses because things would change eventually.  I’m tired of looking at most things like I’m seeing them through a rainstorm. That applies even when the sun is shining although given our week’s weather it would be hard to see anything if one were not looking through a rainstorm!

The optometrist’s conclusion was that the chemo had caused my cataracts to shift into high gear so they needed to be removed before any new prescription could be issued. I have a consultation about that in the middle of November. To think I used to have a few derogatory things to say about elderly people who spent inordinate amounts of time in the doctors’ offices. Now I’m one of them. I guess turn about is fair play. I’ve learned that one must walk a mile in another’s moccasins before criticizing. So, no improvement in vision except that my vision has improved a bit since Monday. One can only hope it continues. 

The rest of the week has been pretty normal.  The exercise helps me a lot and generally improves my attitude. Friends who know me well say that my attitude is good. Perhaps they don’t interact with me when I perceive it not to be so wonderful. Cloudy afternoons lend themselves to naps. I can’t think of any monumental projects that have taken up my time this week. Evidently the naps have been my main occupation.  It is the first week of my two weeks off so I’ll rack it up to recovery and accomplish great things next week.

It was good to get back to choir rehearsal on Wednesday evening. I’ll be singing this Sunday but will then be away the following week. One of the frustrations of directors of volunteer choirs is spotty attendance. Trust me, I’ve been there and done that. Now I’m one of the spotty attenders. 

Tonight, the South Dakota Symphony will present its inaugural concert of the season. I’m looking forward to hearing some beautiful music. “Ravishing Rachmaninoff” is the title given the concert. Our symphony plays so beautifully. The superb Mary Sommervold Hall in the Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science is the place to hear them. I remember Mary asking me to be part of the group that assisted in the Hall’s final tuning twenty years ago. It was an amazing experience to try out different seats and report about how one experienced the sound in various levels of the Hall. Thanks to her family and friends that place now bears her name. She was a prime mover for an acoustical excellent performing space so it is just and fitting that it should be named in her honor.  May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

I just returned from the symphony concert.  The orchestra played magnificently.  The second half was John Corigliano’s Symphony No. 1.  The composer was present to introduce and explain his symphony. It is basically a memorial to friends of his who died from AIDS in the 1980s and 90s.  He pointed out that more persons died from AIDS than in the Viet Nam War but it wasn’t spoken about. It was not the easiest piece to which to listen, but it was very powerful and moving. It involved a huge orchestra and must have been difficult to play and direct.  Bravo South Dakota Symphony and Delta David Gier for a superb concert.


I am thankful for a good week, for friends, for prayers, for rest, for music and all that I’ve experienced.   Thanks to you for sharing my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment