Saturday, October 16, 2021

On the Road Again

Here. I am in Wisconsin! Travel, which used to seem so natural, now seems like such an exotic adventure. The whole experience of packing, the decisions about what to take and leave behind felt like a strange and different occurrence. It almost felt like I’d not done the whole preparation/packing thing before.
¶ Sophia cat is not used to the packing procedure. Previous feline occupants had plenty of practice in panic mode upon the sight of a suitcase. It’s not that they were not cared for while I was away. I think it’s the fear of not having someone at their immediate beck and call. The report is that Sophia is coping well. It will be interesting to see how she acts upon my return. ¶ The old song said “What a difference a day makes.” I should write new lyrics beginning with “What a difference two years makes.” Two years ago, friends and I made the pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham in Sheboygan, WI. I’ve been attending with various groups since 1991. The current group has been attending for five or so years. The cancelling of the pilgrimage was such a disappointment last year.
¶ This year, friends from Colorado drove to Sioux Falls and added me to their car. On Thursday we drove from Sioux Falls to Sheboygan (500 miles). Another friend from North Carolina met up with us at the hotel. ¶ Yesterday we went to Holy Hill, always an experience. Since it was the feast of St. Theresa of Avila, the patroness of the friary there, the service was celebrated with great solemnity. ¶ Many years ago I was in Avila arriving on this very day, the 16th of October, and the remnants of the celebration there were still visible. It was good to recall those memories of the first trip abroad following retirement.
¶ Today was a bit cool but bright and sunny for the procession around the block led by the statue of Our Lady of Walsingham. As always, the flowers are spectacular. The services today were beautiful. The people at the church were thrilled that pilgrims attended. It will be some time before many people are willing to travel again and the pilgrimage will regain its normal numbers, but it is a start. ¶ Tomorrow we will travel northward and take in a bit of Door County. Monday and Tuesday will be travel days back to Sioux Falls. We will cover lots of miles, and my Colorado friends many more before they return to their home. ¶ The South Dakota scandal of the week was revealed in the newspaper. The Majority Leader of the state senate had a son. Said son has a business. Son has received hundreds of thousands of dollars in South Dakota COVID relief funds and Paycheck Protection Program funds to keep his business afloat. All of this sounds perfectly legal and transparent. The only slight problem is that his business is in Texas! Ooops. ¶ We have a reputation and we are keeping it up in grand style. One only wonders what can come up next in the nefarious affairs of state government. There will be another, I’m sure. ¶ I’m feeling well and keeping up with my friends in hill-climbing, social activities, and things ecclesiastical. I’m grateful that I’m able to do it. ¶ Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I’m grateful for the constant prayers for me offered here at the Shrine everyday. We pray for safe travels home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment