Saturday, July 17, 2021

High School Reunions

When one is a volunteer at the Washington Pavilion of Arts and Science one has the opportunity to choose a variety of areas in which to work. My current task is to tend the entrance desk at the Visual Arts Center, greeting visitors, giving them some background information, etc. I’ve worked in the Science Center as an interactor, in the lobby as a greeter and in the Visual Arts Center as a docent. My preference is to do the docent thing but that involves working with groups of children. My better judgment, which I do not always heed, tells me that my being around children with me having virtually no immune system is not a smart idea.
¶ Today I acted as tour guide for an alumni group, the class of 1970 of the old Washington High School. That’s what the Pavilion was before it came the Pavilion. A thing that always amazes me when I host one of these tours is the fondness the group has for their former high school. I find it fascinating because I’ve never returned to my high school since I graduated. I have kept in touch with several close friends but as far as my class is concerned I have no interest. It was too large for one thing, and very cliquish. ¶ The initial comments from the group have to do with the dismay they feel that the building is no longer “their” school. The lobby doesn’t look the same. There is obviously a different feel (not school-ish?). As we move through the building there are increasing comments on things they find interesting, discovering places they remember (classrooms and the library), staircases and other little nooks. At the end of the tour there are always several comments concerning their happiness that the building has been beautifully remodeled and is being used for so many different purposes. They seem to have overcome their dismay and realize that their alma mater is still serving a very useful purpose in the community. This warms my heart.
¶ What we have done is such a contrast with Sioux City, 70 miles south. Their “old” high school is a magnificent pile of stone referred to as “The Castle” and ceased being used as a school years ago. They have searched for a purpose for it ever since. It has been several things but nothing seemed to last for any length of time. I believe it has now been turned into an apartment building. I’ve encountered several visitors from Sioux City to the Pavilion who have said, “I wish we had done something like this with our high school.” Thankfully we had some ladies with vision who had a dream that what we now have could be a reality and sold the idea to the community. ¶ Summer is rolling along. We’ve not had a really hot spell for a few days and every evening cools off nicely. The Blue Angel hostas in the back garden are in bloom. The magenta petunias in front bring delightful color amidst the greenery. ¶ There were two delightful outings this week amongst real people. A small but loyal group celebrated the coming birthday of one with adult beverages and an enormous pile of nachos at a downtown drinking and eating place. We sat on the rooftop patio and enjoyed the pleasant weather and the company. ¶ The daughter and son-in-law of a teacher friend, who sadly is no longer present on this earth, were in town. Another teacher friend had a supper party in her fantastic garden which included more teacher friends, delicious food and conversation. Sitting in the garden with candles glowing and fireflies all around us was just magical.
¶ Miss Sophia received a new delivery of wheat grass, which she adores, from her friend I’m always amused at her reaction when I bring the pot in the house. Munching on wheat grass even takes precedence over naps! ¶ It has been a wonderful summer week. My health has been good. I’ve accomplished a few things. And, I have this Sunday off. There are times when I find just going to church with no responsibilities is a very nice thing. It must be what retirement is like! ¶ Thank you for reading and sharing, for thoughts and prayers, and for all the kind things you do for me and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment