Saturday, September 5, 2020

Angry Before

I have to admit that I was angry before and even more angry now.  Having just read the daily Argus Leader I was informed that our governor spent $815,000 on a television commercial to air on FOX news in conjunction with her appearance at the Republican National Convention. I also was informed that the National Independence Day fireworks show which she put on for POTUS was $1.5 million not the $350,000 previously reported. This is in addition to the $130,000 TV studio she had installed in the state capitol so she could be interviewed by FOX news. Needless to say she envisions South Dakota as a one party state. Whatever happened to the “loyal opposition?” Whatever happened to government by the people for the people?


This all happened while the state was sending the message that teachers who wanted protective equipment for their

"In my opinion I make a very nice
decoration."

classrooms would have to pay for it themselves. Then, after her expenditures have become known, she is giving each school district $500 per pupil from the government funds that have been held hostage in the capitol since distributed by the Feds. School has already started in most places so initial exposure is already a thing accomplished.


And to add insult to injury, as the saying goes, the motorcycle rally which she encouraged because of the tax income has already made South Dakota number one in COVID-19 infection rate. In addition, the state fair is now in progress which also delights her, I’m sure. One wonders if she will find someway to use the rest of those federal funds to further her agenda in some way,


Well, I’ve got that off my chest. Now on to more pleasant things.  


The summer project has been accomplished! I have visited all the parks in Sioux Falls, 82 out of 83.  One of them can’t be visited because one needs a bicycle to do that. Some parks that I frequently visit I didn’t feel necessary to visit again. There are a couple that one can’t get to from here due to massive construction which necessitates signs that proclaim “Park Closed.” However I’ve visited those before, so they count, don’t they?


The eagle sculpture at
Veterans' Park

Today I visited Veterans' Park which is a lovely place with many memorials in honor of the brave women and men who have given so much for their country. It is near the place where the armed forces “radio” school was constructed during WW II.  Sioux Falls provided the needed land and the government constructed hundreds of buildings so that those who were training to be radio operators would come here to learn their tasks. My visit today gave me an opportunity to pray for all veterans.


Still today one can spot buildings that used to be barracks scattered throughout the older parts of the city.  Even though they may have been covered with bricks or stucco they still betray their origin.  In my time in college there were two barracks used as dormitories and the science building was fashioned out of three barracks hooked together in an “H” formation. The cafeteria was a barracks and that later became the art building. The music annex was a two story barracks. It was used for practice rooms and band and orchestra. The interior walls were mighty thin so one had to really concentrate on what one was practicing rather than correcting the mistakes of one’s neighbor.  Thank goodness the organ practice facilities were located elsewhere.  I was mighty grateful when I was hired by a church. It was a peaceful and quiet place to practice.


That radio school brought thousands to Sioux Falls who would never have thought to come here.  The community made all those soldiers welcome, inviting them into their homes for meals and providing what they could for them.  Several of those trainees returned to Sioux Falls after the war and made their homes here having found it a great place to live.  


The last park on my list was Sertoma Park, established by the Parks and Rec department and the Sertoma clubs.  It is a very nice park with interesting science activities and a pavilion that can only be described as huge. This being a holiday weekend and a very nice day, there were several families enjoying the park.


I finished my “chemo” week in good form. My port was used throughout the week. All concerned concluded that the

The pavilion at Sertoma Park

cleaning agent usually used was the cause of my distress. When it was accessed the last two times this week an alternate was used and my skin was fine.  


I was able to do my volunteer “thing” at the Pavilion because my infusions were all afternoon events.  Business is still slow but I did have a few customers.  One interesting lady showed me her work on display.  She is a potter and has a work in our permanent collection. She explained how her raku piece was made.


Thanks for reading, putting up with my rant, for your prayers and thoughts and constant support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment